Sunday, May 23, 2010

Doin' the Hip Shake, Baby!

Why is it every time I have one of those embarrassing moments on a bike, it's in front of a bunch of people?  I was coming home yesterday from our local North Olympic Library after doing my civic duty as a PCO. I was riding my single speed, Jack-Jack, when I ended up on the pavement on 101 in front of a more than a few people in vehicles.  It was kinda surreal actually and my hip is still talking to me about it.  I don't have a speedometer for Jack but I know I was doin' around 16-20 mph down 101 shortly after taking the right turn ramp off of Lauridsen Blvd.  I was wearing my jeans, a long sleeved tee shirt and my new Eddie Bauer 365 light grey jacket (very street, as it should be on a single speed) AND my helmet.

Well, I decided, rather late, that I wanted to turn left into the alley before my street so I could just cruise into our backyard and see if Lisa or anybody was out there.  I signaled with my left arm outstretched more than once which limits my time on brake levers.  I started my left turn still signalling, slightly braking with my right hand and then dropped my left hand to apply some rear brake assistance.  I was standing up as I recall, and as I started my turn left toward the alley, my rear tire started to skid from behind me to my right.

There were a few cars about 10 car lengths behind me and I remember letting JJ rip because I wanted to get to the alley before the rather long line of cars approaching.  I was on it though.  At least thats what I thought.  As the skid ensued, I eased up on the brakes and realized I was already in the other lane.  I remember looking at the oncoming traffic to judge just how to steer when I noticed that Jack-Jack had snapped to the right as the wheels regained traction.  I was still standing on my pedals at the time and that became a rather crucial mistake.  That, and the fact that I would try to apply more brake without really thinking about sitting down or correcting for the new direction.

The new direction and my heightened center of gravity with all the momentum I'd had going at the moment soon overtook any reaction I could've possibly managed at the time and I was rather instantaneously airborne.  I was no longer in control of where I was going.  Suddenly I was looking back where I had come from because I was facing that way.  And then just as suddenly the camera (my field of view) swung toward the blue sky.  It was a beautiful day after all, and I was planning to enjoy as much of it outside as possible.

I must've landed on my left hip because that's what ended up feeling most sore after the fact.  But, I do remember left arm sleeve and back shoulders and then a rather harsh, "THUMP" as my head snapped back onto the asphalt!  Sort of like when you're at the amusement park on one of those rides you've never ridden before and you'd seen all of those people screaming and smiling and laughing as their heads seemed to snap and whip around as if they couldn't stop it from happening and you really don't understand why that is until you do the ride yourself.  It was very much like that.  You knew it was going to happen but you didn't think it would happen to you, while you were on the ride.

I got up almost as quickly as I fell.  Witnesses  might even have described that I bounced right back up and grabbed my aluminum steed and jetted toward the curb.  Once in the alley, I quickly studied Jack-Jack for damage.  I noticed that one of the vehicles that was behind me had pulled over to see if I was okay.  I just hopped back on my bike and left the scene without acknowledgement a tad embarrassed that I'd been so foolish to fall in full view like that.  I must take the time to send a rave for Sunday's PDN (Peninsula Daily News).

Luckily . . . no, smartly I had worn a helmet.  The surprising force with which my head had hit the pavement shocked me.  It was one of those, "Oh SHIT!" moments.  Had I not been wearing my helmet, this passage may never have been written or perhaps w3llen mmm00066 liiittl;ljl;l vveapoiw (i.e., written more like this).  The helmet absorbed almost all of the impact.  I did feel the thump and wondered afterward if I'd suffered a concussion because my head was a tad sore, but the occipital strap on the back of the helmet un-ratcheted providing a lot of the initial impact absorption and the helmet did the rest.  I was really glad I'd had it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment