Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sometimes, the trials in life . . . come in threes.

Fifty degrees PLUS, in February no less.  Hmm, so bad things come in threes, or so I'm told.  And, it's been true every time I counted.  Don't really know what that all means but, here's the latest.  So, last entry I was alarmed and dismayed and confused about Marian's accident near the 8th St. Bridge.  I thought I might have time to visit and find out what's up but I was on foot and on a schedule and ignorant to what was up so I didn't make it to Harborview.  Marian's status is still unknown (at least to me).

So, did I mention that I was at a meeting in Seattle on Friday?  Yeah, well, anyway, I was.  And, I was headed to Portland to meet up with Lisa (that'd be my lovely wife), Friday evening.  I was scheduled to pick up and transport our friend's, husband up in Allyn on the way.  That meant, I couldn't really elaborate much on the plan. Just as we get into Portland, I get the call that my boss received paramedic treatment in the afternoon meeting that I didn't have to attend.  Apparently she'd entered into some medical facility in Seattle and was getting treated for feeling faint and pains in the back or something.

Well, then comes number three!  The wife texts me and we set up for lunch at Red Robin's.  When she shows, she's in dire pain.  She can't even sit. She's been sitting in crappy conference seats for three straight days.  Then, she's finds she can no longer sit due to pain in her left hip.  The pain shoots down her left leg and bending of any kind is, for all intents and purposes, too painful.  We retire to our hotel and watch "Tin Cup" waiting for Aleve to "relieve".  But, no joy.  Lisa is in serious pain.  I'm at my wits end.  We decide it's Dr. time.

We head to Emanuel Hospital and hit the ER for treatment.  Turns out, hospital was in my tea leaves.  Luckily, the ER was light on patients and we only spent 2 or so hours of an otherwise spectacular day in a 12 x 10 windowless ER room.  It started out all tense and worrisome but ended up with Lisa  being diagnosed with Sciatica.  Turns out the doc actually had the same symptoms, etc.  Prognosis, no biking or any physically strenuous activity whatsoever for . . . until the pain goes away (w/o drugs).  Meanwhile she gets drugs an' stuff.  Meanwhile, I'm in Portland and minus my gorgeous wingman (wingwoman?).

Don't know what's up with Marian or my boss, but the wife is woozy and pain free for the time being.  Then I'm gonna make sure she's got all she needs while I . . . yeah, I'm gonna ride far and wide in Portland while the weather is . . . stellar.  When life throws curve balls, bend . . . bend like a willow and go where you can while you can.  No, I don't think all is well in the world, but, I've no control over such things.  So, I'm gonna do what Bruce says and, "Just Ride!"

No comments:

Post a Comment